Monday, June 9, 2014

A Day in the Life

Some people wonder what it's like to be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM). I carefully clean my house so that it constantly looks like a page from an IKEA catalogue before baking healthy, homemade snacks from all-natural ingredients and teaching my clients with brain-boosting activities. Yeah, no. I do have fun with my kids and I try to clean amidst the chaos of life but it's no perfect ideal. I can't vouch for all SAHMs but I think it's exhausting, yet fun and fulfilling. Here's a normal day for me:

7:15-7:30 We wake up. Or rather, Client One wakes up and we feel obligated to follow her example. (I just fear what she'd do if on her own for too long.)

8:00 Breakfast. Sometimes Client One and I make it. Sometimes I pull something from the freezer. Sometimes (like this morning) it's just simple cereal. 


 8:30ish- Get dressed. Sometimes I will go ahead and have Client Two dressed because I'll change him when I change his diaper. But this is generally the time the rest of us get dressed and Client One loves to help! 


8:45ish Play time. Client One and I usually end up in the playroom doing puzzles or building blocks or whatever she wants to do while Client Two watches happily from his Jumper-roo.

9:30ish- Client Two gets a good long feeding and goes down for his morning nap. On some days this is the time we would leave the house for an activity, like the zoo, since Client Two will quietly sleep through most of it and is happily fed. Most days I just get Client One doing some sort of activity while I attempt to clean up. Today, she made a bird feeder from an orange juice carton while I did dishes. 


10:30/11:00 Client Two awakens from his nap. (Actually it's a good day if he'll actually sleep this long because he usually gets woken up.) This leads to more playtime or we go on a quick errand or activity. Today we went to the library.

11:45 Lunch for the clients. Usually something quick and easy. Client One gets to pick from a couple of options and promptly changes her mind as soon as I am done fixing what she requested. She eats anyways. Whenever lunch is finished, Client One just plays.

1:00- Nap/Rest time. Client Two usually goes down more around 12:30 but by 1:00 they are both down. Now I get to eat! And of course clean and pay the bills and do the laundry and all that stuff but mostly Facebook and Netflix. Client Two usually wakes half-way through and insists on finishing his nap in my arms. 


3:00ish They awake and the silence is gone. Client One eats a small snack before playing. We pretty much chill waiting for Daddy. My hubby usually comes home sometime between 3:00 and 4:30.



4:30/5:00 I pass the clients off to hubby and start dinner, trying to make something that everyone will eat, which can be difficult due to the fact Client One's taste buds change on a daily basis. 

5:30ish We eat, often bribing or tricking Client One into eating something. (Since when does she not like chicken?!) 

6:00ish Outside play so I can clean up the dinner mess. Client Two usually takes a quick snooze.

7:00 Client One is allowed 30 minutes of wind-down TV before some quiet play.

8:00 Bath, Book and Bed

8:30 We tell Client One that it really is bed time and to go to sleep.

8:35 We tell Client One that she's not getting another snack and she wouldn't be hungry if she had eaten all her dinner.

8:40 Threaten and bribe Client One to get her back into bed after finding the one stuffed animal that did not make it into her bed.

8:45 Put Client Two back to sleep after he awoken by his sister running down the hallway.

8:50 Get Client One to stop crying because she's "just not tired and so hungry" and get her back in bed. Restart her music.

9:00 Consider going to bed myself.

10:00 Probably head to bed.

And there you have it! That's my typical schedule! (Minus the fits and spills and messes and diaper changes...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Instagram: @mylifeasasahmom