Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mom Powers

My husband would never survive as a stay-at-home dad (SAHD). I realize that many men out there are SAHDs and they do great, but that is not for my hubby. I'm not saying he doesn't help out. He helps clean up and he changes diapers. He even helps with dinner sometimes. But there is no way he (or our children) could survive all day if he stayed at home while I went to work.

I had to go to the dentist today to get a tooth pulled, so hubby was home with both clients by himself for about an hour and a half. When I got home I found Client One cheerfully munching away at "lunch"- a hotdog bun and some chips. *Facepalm* Hubby's excuse was that he was holding Client Two when lunchtime hit so he let her get it herself. Since I need to rest to let my mouth heal I sent him to the store for frozen pizza for dinner.

Of course, I'll probably be the one to make dinner tomorrow, even if my mouth hurts worse than today (which it will be). It's okay because I'm a mom and we have special powers. From the moment we take that positive pregnancy test we adjust our lives to the needs of our little ones. During pregnancy we do extra things, like taking prenatal vitamins, and we stop other things, like eating certain foods. We are the ones who usually get up in the middle of the night for feedings and nightmares. We sit by their bedsides when they are sick and clean up the messes made. We know where the medicine is kept and when they took the last dose. We not only know what their favorite outfit is but also whether or not it is washed and where exactly it is. We can cook their food exactly the way they like and can bribe them to try new food. We can locate favorite toys and books faster than Doc McStuffins can diagnose a patient. We are the ones that schedule all the dentist and doctor appointments and make sure they don't clash with classes, play dates or naps. Our purses are filled with emergency snacks, bandages and toys.

It's exhausting to be a mom. It's stressful to be a mom. Some days I want nothing more than to eat my favorite food while relaxing with my favorite book without having to worry about the last time one of my little clients pooped. Despite all the hard stuff, though, it's incredible to be a mom. We have powers even better than Elsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Instagram: @mylifeasasahmom