Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce


Okay, I am not a food blogger, so I am not great with the photos of food prep that usually accompany a recipe post, but I thought I might share one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes! So, if you're in search for a delicious, easy, last minute recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, you are in luck!

I love cranberries. They are delicious. But I have never been a fan of the cranberry sauce in a can that was commonly served at Thanksgiving dinners. Food just should not be can-shaped. Last year, I looked up a bunch of cranberry sauce recipes and came up with one of my own by combining my favorite parts of each recipe and adding some of my own touches. It uses fresh fruit and has a very pleasant appearance with a natural fruity taste. 

What You Need:

12 oz Fresh Cranberries
1/2 cup Water
1/2 Orange Juice (Pulp Free is best)
1 1/4 cup Sugar
Half a Pear- chopped 
Half an Apple- chopped (I used Red Delicious)
Dash of Cinnamon (Okay, so I use a big "dash")
2 tsp Grated Orange Peel (or about one orange's worth)

What You Do:
  1. Divide the cranberries roughly in half.
  2. Combine half the cranberries, water, orange juice, sugar, pear, apple and cinnamon (everything except half the cranberries and the orange peel) in a medium sauce pan and cook on medium heat until the cranberries pop (about 5 minutes).
  3. Add the other half of the cranberries and the grated orange peel and cook for 5 more minutes.

  4. Remove from heat and put in a serving bowl and place in the fridge to cool.

  5. Serve and enjoy!

See? Fairly simple and quite tasty! So, go on out to your closest grocery store and grab some ingredients to make your own! You won't be sorry! You may even outshine the turkey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Instagram: @mylifeasasahmom