Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I Can Moo, Can You?

Boy! The things I will do for free food! Today, I dressed up like a cow.


In case you did not know, today was Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-Fil-A. Anyone who came dressed from head to toe dressed up like a cow got a free meal. So, what did we do for lunch today? We dressed up like cows from head to toe. Yep. Even me. I dressed up like a cow. Did I feel ridiculous? Oh yeah. But I wanted free chicken and Chick-Fil-A chicken is some of the best in the fast food world.

Last night I raided everyone's closets and started putting together cow outfits. Luckily, Client One and Two each had a white t-shirt. Personally, I think white t-shirts for little kids are annoying because they are so easy to mess up and stain. In fact, the two shirts I found for them actually had a few stains. I also managed to dig up a pair of dark brown shorts for Client Two and a sparkly black skirt and white and black leggings for Client One. Next, I had to attach spots, cut from construction paper, to their clothes. Last year, I tried double-sided tape and glue dots. These worked somewhat effectively, but spots started falling off while we were standing in line. This year, I used a handy, dandy gluestick and it worked like a charm! Now, I haven't actually tried to take the spots off the clothes yet, but I'm hoping they do, in fact, come off. We shall see. Next, I made cow tails. We have several of those rag-like cloth diaper things that Gerber makes in those big packs hanging around the house, so I grabbed one and cut it into a few strips. I then colored an inch or two (or three? How big is an inch exactly?) with a black marker, tied a knot above the colored part and cut in three little strips to give it that tail look. I then added some black spots to the tail with the marker and tied the non-colored end to the inside of the their shorts and skirt via the tag. And, last but certainly not least, I made us some ears. I cut the ear shape from black construction paper and left a little tab at the end of the ear to attach it to something to wear on our heads. Client One got hers taped onto a headband. That was easy and obvious. The headband even had a big, super cute black and white plaid bow on it. Client Two's was a bit tricker since he doesn't usually wear headbands, so I had to construct him a little band from the cloth rags I used for the tails. In the end, it ended up being pretty cute.



This morning, I had everything lying out on the table, ready to go. This meant that I had to hear Client One ask all morning when she would get to wear her cow costume. And when I say all morning, I mean all morning. Finally, it was time to get ready. I had fashioned myself my own cow costume from a white tank top and white shorts in the same manner I had made the others. I even had a knitted hand band (which I totally stole from Client One) that I put ears on. Once we were all dressed, we were ready to go. A couple other family members joined us, also dressed like cows. Last year, we got there a little after 11:30 or so and the line was out the door. This year, we arrived pretty much at 11:00 on the dot and we walked straight up to the counter. A few minutes later, we were seated at a table, happily munching away on free chicken.



We chose a booth next to window, so we got to see everyone's cow costumes as they came in. Some were just plain adorable. I swear, you could probably dress a little baby up as poop and they would still be adorable. There's no way to lose when you dress up a baby. Some were ingeniously simple. One teen guy tore holes in a white trash bag and wore it over a black shirt to give the illusion of spots. Most people were dressed like we were- basic white and black clothes with simple spots and a headband or hat. And then there were the people who spent more on the cow costume than 20 meals would have cost. Hey, to each their own, right?

When we got home I immediately changed into a comfy shirt and maxi skirt. Client Two was just so darn cute as a cow I let him run around in cow costume pretty much all day. (The ears didn't last long, though). I actually taught him to moo, or at least something very much like a moo, just to add to the cuteness. Client One was as happy as a cow as a kid can get. She had absolutely no desire to change and, had she not been going to a movie this afternoon, would have remained a cow until bed time. Honestly, she probably would have slept in her cow clothes.

All in all it was a fun day at Chick-Fil-A. We may have looked a little silly, but we got a free meal and walked away full and happy. Plus, my kids looked pretty cute as my mini moos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Instagram: @mylifeasasahmom