Friday, May 15, 2015

Kidnappers or ER?

I remember the  first time I headed out the door to run errands with two kids. It was terrifying. First I had to get two little people completely ready and out the door. This meant a quick nursing session, a potty break, a diaper change and loading the diaper bag down with enough supplies to survive the apocalypse. Then, I had to load both wiggly creatures into the car, only to unload them, by myself a few minutes later. All of that stuff was just preliminary and time consuming. The terrifying part didn't start until we arrived at our location. I had to watch two kids. At once. I had to make sure that Client One was staying next to the car while I unloaded Client Two and our apocalypse supplies from the car. Then, I had to find a way to safely navigate the parking lot and into the store. Of course, the fun had only begun as I then had to entertain and control two kids, who had no desire to go shopping, while I attempted to get everything on my list. Each kid was like a ticking time bomb. A newborn and a toddler, by myself. It was terrifying, but I did it!

Going to the store with two kids is still a hassle, but I manage it like a pro. Granted, if I can possibly leave my kids with my hubby or one of the grandparents so I can shop by myself, I'll do it in a heartbeat. It takes about 15-20 minutes minimum on a most days to get both kids out the door and in the car, so if I'm taking both of them to the store, I really need stuff. It doesn't terrify me or even really intimidate me. And the stares of other customers don't intimidate me when my kids start throwing a fit in Target either. I've learned and adapted. But yesterday, I found a new type of intimidation with two kids- going to the park by myself.


I have taken my kids to the park by myself before, but that was last year when Client Two was a baby. He would lie contentedly in his stroller, sleeping, eating or playing while his big sister ran around and played. I'm not a hovering mom, but I was able to move around the playground with ease and keep an eye on Client One. I had perfect control over both kids. Things have changed. Now, Client Two is not content in his stroller. He's 15 months old and he loves to run and play, just like his sister. Unfortunately, there is still enough of a gap between their development that they want to play on different parts of the playground. Client One wants to go racing off and play on the parts put there for preschoolers. (Go figure.) She wants to climb and swing and slide. Client Two is interested in the toddler portions such as climbing the stairs, running up and down the ramps, and playing with the built-in activities like steering wheels and music. So, I let them each play on the parts of the playground that they wanted but this meant that I couldn't have eyes on both of them 100% of the time. At first, I tried. I really did. But it was impossible. Why?


Client One is friendly. Like super friendly. This child knows no strangers. While this is mostly a great quality to have, you can understand why it makes me nervous at the park. We've had the "tricky people" conversations and she knows not to leave with anyone she doesn't know or to take food from someone she doesn't know. The knowledge of strangers is there, but that often flies out the window when a new friendship can be formed. Now, I really hope and believe that in a kidnapping situation she would revert back to the "stranger danger" concept, but you really don't know until it happens. If anyone ever did kidnap her we would probably have a "Ransom of Little Red Chief" scenario on our hands. So, when we were at the park, I tended to pay her a bit more attention anytime she starting chatting with anyone over the age of 6. And by chatting I mean voluntarily introducing herself by name and age along with the name of her bear and her brother. It's probably a good thing she doesn't know our address. I'd simply holler something out to her like "Don't leave Bo (her ragtag stuffed bear) on the ground!" so that kidnappers would be aware that I was actively watching her. Meanwhile, Client Two is tumbling down the stairs or taking out another kid. Oops!

Client Two is a daredevil. He sees no challenge as too great. He climbs up the slides, even when other kids are sliding down. He climbs and jumps off stairs. He eats dirt and bugs. He requires a lot of attention to keep him from getting his first broken bone before his second birthday. We've never been to the ER (knock on wood) and I really would like to put that visit off as long as possible. He is rough and tumble and, despite having been walking for about six months, does a lot of the tumbling. This means that on a trip to the playground I have to be near him most of the time to make sure that each tumble doesn't land us (or the kid he tumbles into) in the ER. Watching him play can be a full-time job, which leaves just the occasional glance towards his extroverted sister. Luckily, client One is loud and I can hear her no matter where we are on the playground.

Our trip to the park lasted about an hour. Both kids had a blast and neither were hurt or kidnapped. I managed to find the balance needed so that we could all enjoy our time out of the house. After a few more trips, the park will be just as easy as a  trip to the store. Well, not easy. Going anywhere with two kids isn't exactly easy, but it will be less stressful and less intimidating. Maybe one day I'll even be able to be that mom, sitting on the park bench reading a magazine. Maybe, but probably not.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Instagram: @mylifeasasahmom